Friday, January 11, 2013

T-Shirt Fringe Scarf

Today's craft is a simple and fun one!! T-SHIRT FRINGE SCARF!!

Blue Finished

I've seen a few simple picture tutorials on this one, but no specific instructions. Well, I'm here to fill in that gap for you!

I took two old Mossimo T-Shirts that I had in the closet. These are two that I barely wear anymore, so they are perfect candidates for this project!!

Getting Started 2

First you cut across the width of the T-Shirt just below the armpit area.

Getting Started

White Top Cutting

I then cut off the hem on the bottom of the shirt. On other people's tutorials I saw that they left this on, but I didn't like that, so I cut it off. I think it looks cleaner that way. More fringe-like. <-- That's totally a thing.

Blue in Progress 3

Laying the shirt totally flat on the table, start cutting your fringe. I cut through both layers at once. First round I cut the fringe about 5-6 inches long.

Blue in Progress 2

Then I pulled on the cut lengths to make them fringy. <-- Again, totally a thing.

Blue in Progress
(guest appearance by the Beagle, Norbert, in the background there)
Ends of Blue

After I tried it on, I realized that the fringe was too short. Back to the cutting table. I went deeper on the fringe cut. This time about 10 inches. And pulled them again.

Voila! T-Shirt Fringe Scarf!!

Blue Finished 2


White Top Finished

It's surprisingly warm. And cute!!

I found that the best way to deal with the seam of the shirt (while wearing it as a scarf) it to put one seam behind your head which puts the other one down in front. Don't worry, it doesn't stick out at all. I just made sure to roll the top over towards me, so you don't see the actual sewing part of the seam. That sounds much more difficult than it is, just trust your instincts.

Also, I've posted a little poll to the right over there, asking which day you would like to see me post the craft each week. I personally was shooting for posting each Wednesday (clearly missing the mark with this post...). but what day sounds good to you? Let me know!! 

Happy Crafting!!

xo~Tara~xo

No comments:

Post a Comment