Saturday, January 19, 2013

Mickey & Minnie Mouse Crochet Beanie!

Mickey Minnie beanies


These are three adorable beanies that I made for Christmas gifts!

They are a simple beanie with the additional Mouse details.

I'm not going to go into a full-on tutorial here, but I will outline how I made these.

I started with a basic beanie pattern that you can find all over the Internet.

The one that I love the most was from a Crochet blog named Maggies Crochet (<--click on the name to go to her site). She has a great info-graphic that will help you.

I also used the pattern from damn it Janet, let's crochet! to help me as well. <--Clickable

Here is what I used to make these super adorable beanies:

1 skein Bernat Satin in Snow
1 skein Bernat Satin in Ebony
1 skein Bernat Satin in Crimson
1 skein Caron One Pound in Sunflower (for Mickey)

5.5mm hook

Here are the changes that I made to the patten to help me. Also, keep in mind that my gauge is snug, but not tight.

  • I switched to Red yarn beginning with Round 12.
  • I went to 18 Rounds.
  • The earflap from Janet is the best pattern for an earflap.
Make sure to check your gauge!! If you're getting too tight, then either add another increase row or go up a hook size.

For the ears I followed the basic circle pattern from the info-graphic on Maggies page. For these kids hats I went through round 2.  Make 4 ears per beanie!  Sewing two ears together for one total ear. This makes them double thick and much easier to sew onto the beanie later.

For the bow, I made a little swatch of red hdc's. Then made a little 8-chain 2 row swatch. I used the little swatch for the middle part of the bow and fastened it together. If that doesn't make sense, let me know and I may post a little tutorial on it. It sounds much more complicated than it really is.

Now, the edging. For Minnie I made the edging white since I didn't do any polka-dots for her. For Mickey, I made his edging yellow. I also added two white buttons on the front simulating his pants.

Lastly, attach the ears on the beanies, the bow for Minnie and the buttons for Mickey. Then attach the braids. All done!!

Hope you enjoyed my semi-tutorial on these crazy adorable beanies.

Happy Crafting!!

xo~Tara~xo

No comments:

Post a Comment